2020-07-07

Punk (1)


I was fortunate to have a cool mom and even cooler aunt who introduced me to Cream, the Doors and Jefferson Airplane, but even they didn’t know about the Velvet Underground.  I eventually discovered them, long after they had been a thing, because of Lou Reed (more on him shortly).  They are impossible to categorize, which was, I suppose, the point.  They were not commercially successful, but are cited today by dozens of major artists as a key influence.  This song may have gotten them fired by their original label, for allusions to drug use. Produced by Andy Warhol.


Perfect Song?

Lou Reed released this in 1972. Some people think it is a sad song.  Others think it's a happy song.  Some think it’s a happy song performed by a depressed person.  A few think it’s about heroin addiction.  Lou said it was just a simple song about a nice day and we should all stop analyzing it and get a f***ing life.



You hit me with a flower...

1973: Another side of Lou Reed.  Openly flamboyant, with a nasty guitar riff, hints of glam, hints of punk--it’s way ahead of its time.  It could also be a statement: In 1970, almost overnight, the great music largely disappeared from the charts, replaced by sugary dreck (go look at the Billboard Top 50 from 1968, and compare to 1970—the difference is stunning).  Hard to imagine a more deliciously sarcastic response.


Patti Smith: Horses

I didn’t immediately “get” Patti Smith. Her only commercial hit was “Because the Night”, and I didn't care for it. My friends had never heard of her, so it took a couple of decades for me to circle back and really give her a listen. When I did, it was like being hit by a bomb. I finally understood why so many of the greats consider her a key influence.

 

This is the title track from her first album, released in 1975. In an era of three-minute, formulaic, largely content-free songs, I think it took courage to put out something like this.

 

The Ramones. Of course.

There are a lot of arguments about what inspired this song.  I have no opinion on the matter.  I only know it’s my favorite by the Ramones, and frankly, only they could have pulled it off.  From 1981.


Bubblegum Punk? Why not?

Founded in 1981, Shonen Knife were the first bubblegum-punk group, and (I think) still the best. This song is perfect for when everything feels a bit weird, and you want to reassure yourself it’s not you. It has some of the best lyrics ever.


Sometimes I step into the timeless zone

And I lose my way

I don't know where I am

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the Milky Way

And I lose myself

I don't know who I am

I discover whiskers of a cat in the timeless zone

And I put them on my face

In the moment I become a sweet little cat

And I dance on the flying saucer

I am a cat.


If you want to know more about Shonen Knife, here is a brief history.



No comments:

Post a Comment